Friday, May 1, 2009

The Terms "Right to Die" and "Assisted Suicide" Won't Do

As I write this posting about end of life issues, I am well aware that I am not an expert on this topic. Thus, I am writing more in the spirit of asking questions rather than making statements. Even the statements that I make here will be along the lines of “thinking out loud.”

I consider life precious. It is a gift. We have been admitted into the club of human existence. Regardless of the quality or circumstances of one’s life, just being born makes one fortunate. I am not naive. Some lives turn out badly. However, to be given a shot at life makes a person one of the elite entities in the history of (as far as we know) the universe. While the following sayings are not valid when taken to extremes, there is an element of truth when people say “I never had a bad day in my life” and “I’m great just as long as I’m on the right side of the grass.”

I think that suicide by an otherwise healthy person is an unnatural act brought about by mental illness. However, if a person is physically (not mentally) suffering and that person’s best days are definitely chronologically behind him or her, then it is understandable why one may want to end their lives.

The term “assisted suicide” is one of those “b.s.” semantic terms used to place a spin on a philosophy, like “pro-life,” “pro-choice,” and the agenda-laden “anti-choice.” Besides, “assisted suicide” does not account for the terminal nature of the lives of those who choose to end things. I know I just criticized re-naming things for “spin” reasons, but I think in the context of end-of-life issues, it might be warranted. Euthanasia, while a legitimate term, has become such a loaded word that it seems no longer appropriate. Besides, we euthanize cats, dogs, and horses, and those animals do not choose to end their lives. Humans need their own term, one that reflects the choice one has made to end their own suffering on their own terms. I am not sure what term to suggest. I have some mind, but I will refrain from writing them here.

Though I never was passionate about the issue, I had always considered ‘assisted suicide” wrong. Dr Kevorkian seemed a little creepy to me, like he was a little too into it. He was turning what otherwise should have been the ultimate moment of dignity for a person into a circus.

My mind changed on the subject when I had surgery a few years ago to try to correct my sleep apnea. The surgery involved trying to open up my nasal passages. I then understood why suffering, terminally ill patients would want to end it all. My suffering was so great that if I did not know that I would get better, I would have wanted to die.

What is a better way? Have the person sign a do not resuscitate (DNR), no breathing assistance and no feeding tube letter then fill them with morphine to ease their last days?

Somehow, I think that might be the way to go. Unless I am mistaken, that is what we are doing now. Maybe we need to let more people know they have that option.

I do not know the answers here. I am just asking questions.

Another aspect of this issue is the cost of end-of life care. I will cover that in my next posting.

No comments: