Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sharing Prescriptions

No Prescription? Have Some of Mine in The New York Times raised the issue of people sharing their prescription drugs with others. Reasons for sharing prescription drugs ranged from being on the same medication but not having it with them to sharing medication for pain or having similar health problems as the other person.

Another reason, not discussed in this article, that people share prescription drugs is cost. In an early post, I mentioned that my mother is currently in the Medicare prescription drug coverage doughnut hole. One way she deals with that is by borrowing medication. She and my husband are on the same prescription antidepressant--same brand, same dosage, etc. My husband, however, realized about a year ago that he never remembered to take the evening dose and seemed to be fine without it. So, over time, he ended up with a stockpile of that drug. So, when my mother mentioned her problem with having to pay out of pocket for the same drug, he started sharing his medication with her. It doesn't entirely solve her problem, but it does mean that she only has to get her prescription for that drug filled every other month.

Last month, my nephew and his girlfriend (both in their late teens and still in college) both came down with Strep throat. The girlfriend still has health insurance through her parents, so she went to urgent care and got a prescription for antibiotics. My nephew doesn't have health insurance. So, between them, they decided to share her antibiotics and recommended over-the-counter medications. Thankfully, they live with me and when I heard their plan, I explained why it wasn't a good idea. Taking half a course of antibiotics might result in neither of them fighting off the infection. So, I took my nephew to urgent care, paid out of pocket, and got him his own course of antibiotics.

And in my own experience, I've had multiple knee surgeries and have a friend who has also had knee surgery and a recent total knee replacement. Post-operatively, we've both been prescribed oxycodone for pain, which most doctors prescribe in very limited quanities because it can be addictive. Have we ever shared pain medication? Yes. After my friend's knee replacement, they sent her home with a handfull of paper prescriptions, including one for oxycodone. It took her partner several hours to get to the local pharmacy, do the paperwork, get the prescription refilled, and get back home. Meanwhile, my friend was in pain, serious pain. So, I shared my oxycodone with her--knowning that the same medication had been prescribed by her doctor but that she just didn't have it in hand yet made the decision a no brainer.

So yes, people do share prescription medications for lots of reasons--cost and need among them.

No comments: