Saturday, August 9, 2008

The End...or Just the Beginning

by Leane Scoz

I have to admit. When the weekly assignments were announced during the first class meeting of BW706 this semester, I was a bit in shock. You want me to do what? And post one every week? On the Internet? Where potentially hundreds to thousands of people are going to view it?

I was a blog virgin before this semester. I never gave much thought to blogging. I heard about it. I may have read an occasional entry while browsing the Web. But, I didn't catch the blog fever that all my friends were experiencing courtesy of MySpace. In fact, I am even guilty from time to time of poking fun at friends and their obsession for "the place for friends."

I realize now that I was probably in the minority and wonder why I had not caught the blog wave sooner. I think, at first, I was just not interested in that kind of thing. I am also guilty of using the excuse of not having enough time to waste on blogs I thought nobody would read anyway. However, when I was faced with posting my first blog this semester, I figured out the real reason...I was afraid.

Yes, I am currently in the MS Biomedical Writing program at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and a future job opportunity could lead to the potential of having works published that millions of people could read. But, I consider myself a private person. I take criticism, constructive or not, to heart. I do not like to be under scrutiny. And, blogging, I thought, would put me in a vulnerable position.

All of these feelings ended when I clicked "Publish Post" for the first time. I actually felt relieved. I was getting my thoughts on bioethical issues out for all to view. From comments posted, some people even agreed with what I was writing. Others did not...but that's okay because I was able to open my mind to other people's views.

I have also enjoyed reading classmates' posts. Their insight into other key bioethical issues has been uplifting and inspiring. I have also benefited from seeing their writing techniques, which are helping me polish some of my own.

As I prepare to click "Publish Post" for the final time this semester, I am leaving the BioEthics Cafe of Philadelphia with an open mind to the world of blogging. Don't get me wrong...you will probably not find me on the pages of MySpace.com anytime soon. But, you might catch an occasional blog by me on a controversial issue in the news.

Happy Blogging!

No comments: