Thursday, March 5, 2009

Finally, I'll Be Able To Get That Surgery I Need

Every since I braved the obstacles and overcame my fears to reach my dream of becoming a writer, I have been without health insurance. After quitting my 8 to 5 job at the Children's Hospital in pursuit of a career as a writer, I became self-employed and like so many others, uninsured. I will never forget the day I received that letter in the mail from Blue Cross Blue Shield informing me that although my coverage under the hospital had become unactive, I could remain covered for only $600 each month. Well, I quickly and swiftly began to ponder my current situation of no income, rent, bills, and car note before the earth-shattering realization that I could not afford to remain covered. Normally, this would not have bothered me, except I have had recurring medical problems beginning with hypertension and high cholesterol. I could not bear the thought of having to seek health care at the public health department. I could not fathom having to go to the Coop (Cooper Green Hospital, the hospital for the uninsured that was known for losing patients to death and losing them literally in the hospital), but here I was, self-employed and uninsured. So, when the time came for my annual pap smear (which I hate and can not stand to think about, and it is due in a couple of months), I had to muster the courage, gird my loins, so to speak, and make the dreaded appointment for the public health department.

So, you can imagine my elation and utter excitement to learn that President Obama was making plans to change health care and decrease health care costs, making it affordable for everyone, including me. In a recent article in the Washington Post, "At Summit, President Obama Urges Solutions for Rising Cost of Health Care," President Obama made further progress on his promise to make health care affordable when he addressed the White House Summit. In the article, President Obama promises to expand insurance coverage, improve health care quality, and decrease skyrocketing health care costs. "'The same soaring costs that are straining families' budgets are sinking our businesses and eating up our government's budget, too,' Obama said in an East Room appearance."

Although it feels as if I am alone in my struggle to receive high quality health care without insurance, I know there are millions of people in the US struggling to make insurance costs. And many of those people have to also worry about insuring their families. Thankfully, I am only worried about insuring myself, so the costs for health care are slightly less for an individual. However, it is still difficult because of my preexisting conditions. In the article, President Obama, "...stressed that reform efforts cannot succeed without reducing costs, but he also said it was important to distinguish between short-term and long-term costs."

For 3 years, since the beginning of my self employment, I have seen and experienced the desperate for need for not just health care, but quality health care. Because the health department physicians work in this public health environment, they are not as vigilant and caring in their health care practices. Thankfully, I know more than others and am able to ask the right questions and conduct the necessary research into my condition and the medications I am prescribed. But what about the others in the office who are not fortunate enough to have those resources available to them? Would they receive the care they deserve, or will they fall through the cracks of the health care system? Is it too late for health care reform? Has the damage already been done?

In my case and those of millions of others, it is not too late to take advantage of the much needed health care reform proposed by President Obama. Of course, there are the naysayers and the skeptics who believe that President Obama's plan is too risky and right now is not the time to take on more problems. To this President Obama replies, "'When times were good, we didn't get it done. . . . There's always a reason not to do it. And it strikes me that now is exactly the time for us to deal with this problem...What better time than now, and what better cause for us to take up.'"

To those people, I say, when will be the right time. It is almost as if they are saying to me that it is not a good time for me to get health care coverage; not a good time for me to receive quality health care. When will it be a good time? When my hypertension becomes severe and I become more susceptible to heart attack and stroke? According to the article, "Medical spending, now about $2.3 trillion, consumes about 16 percent of the gross domestic product. And although the United States spends more per capita on health care than any industrialized nation, Americans do not live longer or healthier lives, according to a range of international measures."

President Obama's inital plan includes "...(setting) aside $634 billion in his proposed budget to be dedicated to health reform. The 10-year reserve fund could be used to provide health insurance to some of the 46 million Americans who do not have it today. To raise that money, Obama would cut itemized tax deductions for the wealthiest Americans and trim federal payments to hospitals, home health aides, drug manufacturers and some physicians." Unfortunately, the budget must be approved by Congress before it can take effect.

So, once again, I wait and hope. I wait for the day when health care will be affordable and hope that it comes one day soon. President Obama's goal of The Summit: "'...to start determining how to lower costs, improve quality and expand coverage to all Americans. And our goal will be to enact comprehensive health care reform by the end of this year.'" Maybe by the end of this year, I will be able to go to the hospital when I am sick, go to the doctor knowing I have an appointment (not hoping one will be available if I can not get through on the line within the two hours alloted for appointment time in the morning like at the health department), and go to the emergency room of a high-quality hospital without worrying that I will receive the quality health care I deserve.

5 comments:

Bill Curry said...

Frankly, it will never be a “good time” for socialized medicine. This procedure that you need would likely require getting on a long waiting list, as the have for non-emergency procedures in Canada and Britain. There is a reason many Canadians come to the US for non-emergency procedures, and whatever the reason (waiting list or available quality of care), it is undeniable evidence that their system is not superior to ours.

I am not sure that private health insurance is currently as cost prohibitive as many people contend. On my own, I purchased health insurance from a major insurer that is almost as good as the programs I had through employers, and it is only $114 per month, including prescription benefits and the ability to choose my own doctor. Granted, I am a single man, but I am over 40 years of age. Cobra is a rip-off. After leaving my last two radio companies, I had Cobra offers of $500 and $600 per month.

This subject will be the subject of my next blog. I will include the above two paragraphs almost verbatim.

Linda MacDonald Glenn said...

Conservative, moderate, liberal, or progressive politics, it doesn't matter -- I'm more interested hearing about the moral questions -- the weighing and balancing of autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence and justice. What do we owe each other in this society? (See comment above, too) Without social contracts, as Thomas Hobbes said, life would be "nasty, brutish, and short". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hobbes)

Linda MacDonald Glenn said...

Thank you, Christina, for sharing your personal story with us -- it is a good illustration of how social policies affect us individually, as well as collectively. It is one thing to discuss ideas and philosophy in the abstract; it is another thing to deal with practical problems and impact on individuals.

Bill Curry said...

These ARE moral questions for me. In this society, we owe each other compassion and concern.

However, we also owe it to each other to speak up when we see the society going down the wrong road.

My personal morality has always been focused on how I treat the people closest to me, both in emotion and proximity. I have always considered it more important to treat well the people with whom I come in direct contact (whether they be a loved one or a complete stranger) than to "save the world." I feel very strongly about that. I have had too many people in my life who want to save the world yet treat the human beings standing right next to them like garbage. Thus, I always tend to look at those professing "social conciousness" with a degree of skepticism.

Throughout history, much suffering has been caused in the name of "the common good."

I care about my fellow human beings, probably more than most. However, I just feel that treating individual human beings well (as opposed to treating populations well) is the most effective way to do something about it.

Linda MacDonald Glenn said...

Now ** that ** was a good comment! Well said and straight from the heart~!