Saturday, November 3, 2007

More Tax Dollars Spent Aiding Drug Addicts

The state of Massachusetts is starting a new program to hand out heroin overdose prevention kits. It is budgeted at less than $50,000, but I personally don't see how the state can be justified in spending tax dollars this way versus putting that money into public schools, drug education programs, or some other more worthy cause. While saving a life is indeed important, I feel this act is simply perpetuating drug use.

Saving lives is the obvious ethical choice. However, how is it ethical to provide this service without the follow through to get that person off of drugs and start their lives over again? Is this program a "Get Out of Death-Free" card? Will this send a message that it is ok to OD, the state of Massachusetts can easily save you? I feel that this program is too lenient on drug users and also irresponsible on behalf of the state.

2 comments:

wooddragon said...

I think I agree with your initial comment, that saving lives is the obvious ethical choice, and I would stop there. Additionally, all budget dollars are not created equal and are frequently earmarked for particular types of programs. So this $50,000.00 may not be available for the schools, anyway.

atowers said...

I have similar thoughts on this as I did on the idea of San Francisco setting up an assisted injection site where nurses are available to help drug addicts inject themselves. Essentially, using state fundidng to run such programs promotes illegal drug use. It is contradictory as well as unethical.